Articles & Guides For Boat Building, Modifications, & Owners
Copies of articles listed below range in size from brief correspondence with technical notes to articles of several pages. Some may be ‘free’ – for others please inquire for price. (Some articles consist of e-mails which can provide helpful guidance.)
- SMALL CRAFT AESTHETICS (1990) Guidelines to exterior color & trim
- MARINE OPENINGS & CLOSURES (1993)
-SELECTION & LOCATION – Windows, Port lights, Hatches, & Doors.
- STREAMLINING – THE BOTTOM (1995) – Reduce Drag –save money
- STEEL or ALUMINUM -YOUR CHOICE (1988) A Comparison
- MEETING THE REGULATIONS (1994)
Conversion of Vessels (or New) to Meet Coast Guard Standards
Note: For Canadian Regulations but may be useful for other countries. (due to ongoing changes to regulations it is advised that all matters be reviewed with your appropriate regulations. )
- DRAWING LEVELS (1997)
What do you need? What do you expect? What do you get? A guide to different drawing levels (of details) and their relevant cost.
- SEA CHESTS & MANIFOLDS (1997) Methods for fluid management
- DECK LAYOUT (2002) A guide to a safe & logical deck layout
- ZINC ANODES (2003) cathodic protection for your boat
- PROPELLER ANOMOLIES (2000) Things you may not know and probably would not believe.
- CUSTOM DESIGN (2004) Can’t find (or don’t want) a stock plan?
- VESSEL WEIGHT (2004) Source, Control, and Management of weight
- VESSEL WEIGHT & VALUE (2007) a quick way to estimate what your boat may cost. (a very basic approximation method best used by professionals.)
- WEIGHING A BOAT (2011) The set-up & Procedure for weighing a boat using scales or a Travelift. (Travelift accuracy can vary up to 10%)
- STABILITY & COMFORT (2008) Yes…. You can have too much of a good thing.
- THE RIGHT BOAT (2009) Choosing ‘your’ boat (or design)
- FREEWHEELING PROPELLER (2009) To lock, or not to lock, that is the question. For sail boats or power boats that trail and engine (emails)
- READING for the BOATBUILDER (2003) Reading Suggestions to Help
- LIGHTENING HOLES: a guide to penetrations of structure
- VESSEL MAINTNENANCE – A guide sheet & timetable
- VESSEL MODIFICATION-CONVERSION & REPAIR. A guide template of what-when-where-why-who. Can also be used as a guide for selection of the ‘right boat’